Temple Apartment Fire Caused by Toddler Playing with Lighter
Investigators say a fire that displaced 29 residents of a Temple apartment complex was started by a toddler playing with a cigarette lighter.
The fire heavily damaged eight units at the Wayman Manor Apartments, 1811 East Avenue K., on Sunday, January 10. An investigation revealed that the fire started in a downstairs apartment and spread to the second floor. A firewall prevented the fire from spreading throughout the rest of the complex.
Several Temple fire units and volunteers from Troy and Morgan's point were called to combat the blaze. One resident was taken to Scott & White Hospital in Temple for treatment of a lacerated foot. Another resident refused an offer to be transported to the hospital for difficulty breathing. No other injuries were reported.
The fire has been ruled unintentional, and officials are working to calculate a dollar loss to the building. Officials have not said how the child obtained the lighter or if a parent was aware of his or her activity before the fire started.