Texas Family’s Story About Dry Drowning Saves Colorado Child
A Colorado man is thanking a Texas family for sharing the heartbreaking story of losing their son two weeks ago because their warning saved his son's life.
4-year-old Frankie Delgado of Houston's story inspired one of our writers to explore the subject of dry drowning, its symptoms, and how to prevent it. Delgado passed away as a result of the condition two weeks ago. Delgado's family took him swimming over Memorial Day weekend, and during the trip he accidentally swallowed some water. Over the next six days, he showed symptoms of a stomach bug. Although he appeared to begin feeling better, he later collapsed while struggling to breathe, and doctors determined that his death was likely caused by dry drowning.
On Friday, Staff Sgt. Garon Vega told KTRK-TV that his 2-year-old son, Gio, was suffering from similar symptoms following a day of swimming. He saw KTRK's report on Frankie Delgado, which prompted him to take Gio to an emergency room.
According to Vega, doctors told him his son may not have survived the night without medical attention.
Vega expressed condolences to the Delgado family while thanking them for sharing their story and saving his son's life. Hopefully Frankie's story will save many more lives and bring more awareness to dry drowning and its symptoms.