Third Man Charged in Texas Muhammad Cartoon Contest Shooting
A federal judge on Tuesday ordered a Phoenix, Arizona man held without bail for his alleged role in helping two men plan an attack on a Prophet Muhammad cartoon contest in Garland, Texas in May.43-year-old Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem was indicted by a federal grand jury last week on felony charges of conspiracy, lying to federal agents, and interstate transportation of firearms with the intent to commit a felony. According to the indictment, Kareem hosted gunmen Elton Simpson and Nadir Soofi in his home beginning in January and purchased the weapons they used during a failed attack on the Curtis Culwell Center in Garland on May 3. Kareem was arrested on June 11.
According to an FBI informant, Kareem watched several Islamic State training and recruitment videos with the two shooters and practiced marksmanship with the pair and several others in a remote desert area outside of Phoenix. The informant also told agents that Kareem expressed interest in carrying out an attack on the Super Bowl in Glendale, AZ, though it is unclear how serious the threat may have been. FBI Special Agent Dina McCarthy testified Tuesday that terrorism training materials were found on Kareem’s computer during the course of an investigation in 2012.
Prosecutor Kristen Brook called Kareem “off the charts dangerous” during Tuesday’s proceedings, but defense attorney Daniel Maynard says the charges against his client are based solely on unreliable testimony from the FBI’s informant and that the government cannot prove that the guns used by Simpson and Soofi were purchased by his client.
Kareem, a carpet cleaner, has a criminal record that includes two DUI arrests and a charge of aggravated assault, but nothing terror-related.