KISD Student Hospitalized With Meningitis Has Died
Killeen ISD issued a press release Thursday morning about a student who was recently hospitalized with a form of meningitis.
"We are deeply saddened to report that the Saegert Elementary School student (a second grader) diagnosed with a form of bacterial meningitis has passed away," the release reads. "Our deepest condolences go out to the family, friends, and teachers of the student. Killeen ISD has counseling teams on hand at Saegert today to provide support services to children. Saegert is continuing classes. The school is safe and no other cases of meningitis have been reported."
KWTX reports that the student was diagnosed with pneumococcal meningitis, which is a deadly bacterial form of the disease.
I can't imagine being a parent on the receiving end of the email from Killeen ISD Superintendent John Craft explaining their concern that parents take precautions.
Meanwhile, a team of over 20 people has gone to work deep-cleaning and scrubbing down surfaces at the school using a hospital-grade disinfectant. According to KISD, the district also had to worry about cleaning the bus that the student rode to school.
It remains unclear when the student actually contracted the disease. Parents of students who had close contact with the infected student are concerned. Symptoms of bacterial meningitis in children are fever, rash, headache, neck stiffness, vomiting, chills, muscle, and joint pain and abdominal pain.
Anyone who even suspects their child might have meningitis should consider heading straight to the nearest emergency room.