Look at What The State Fair of Texas is Serving Up This Year
It's fair season, and the State Fair of Texas has given us a peek of what Big Tex is serving up this year.
All's Fair in State Fair Food
The Fair! Yes, it provides lots of family fun and entertainment with carnival rides and games, petting zoos, concerts, and so much more, but what I really missed about the fair last year was the food.
The State Fair of Texas has really become the home of some crazy food concoctions over the years, and this year's menu is right on par.
According to The Dallas Morning News, starting September 24th you’ll get to sample the top 10 finalists for the Big Tex Choice Award.
Here is what you'll have to choose from in the "Savory" category:
- Crispy Crazy Corn – Fried corn kernels topped with pork and pineapple slaw
- Deep Fried I-35 – Fried kolache dough topped with smoked brisket and drizzled with peach juice combined with Dr Pepper
- Deep Fried Seafood Gumbo Balls – Fried bites with shrimp, sausage and crab rolled in saltine cracker and breadcrumb batter then topped with chicken-fried okra spears.
- Lucky Duck Dumplin’ – A pastry filled with duck bacon, cream cheese and roasted corn
- Pork shots – Texas smoked sausage wrapped in bacon and filled with mac and cheese
Here is what you'll have to choose from in the "Sweet" category:
- The Armadillo – A massive big cookie butter ice cream sandwich in the shape of an armadillo, of course
- Brisket Brittle – Traditional dessert brittle with Texas brisket replacing the peanuts
- Deep Fried Halloween – A large pretzel that’s covered in candy corn syrup and topped with sprinkles, candy corn, chocolate and marshmallow icing
- Fernie’s Fried Toffee Crunch Cake – A cake doughnut dipped in panko and vanilla cookie crumbs then fried
- Texas Pumpkin Poke Cake – A Texas-shaped pumpkin cake with caramel and vanilla glaze
I think the hardest part of deciding what's best is first deciding what to start with.
I'll keep it easy: I'll just order one of each and go from there. The State Fair of Texas runs from September 24th through October 17th in Dallas.
Here's What's Happening at This Year's Central Texas State Fair