No Injuries Reported After Reported Explosion at Jupe Feed in Temple Wednesday Afternoon
UPDATE: Temple Fire & Rescue's Thomas Pechal issued the following media release Wednesday evening:
Firefighters located evidence of overheated bearing. The bearing was cooled with water. There was no evidence of fire. The explosion damaged a section of a grain elevator located outside the building. There were no injuries and no evacuations were ordered during the incident.
Temple Police and Temple EMS responded. The fire department responded with 7 units and 16 personnel. The call was dispatched at 12:29 p.m. and the first unit arrived at 12:34 p.m. The last unit cleared the scene at 1:26 p.m.
Temple firefighters were called to a Downtown Temple business Wednesday afternoon after reports of an explosion.
Thomas Pechal with Temple Fire and Rescue said firefighters were dispatched to Jupe Feed, 405 South 2nd Street, at 12:32 PM. When Temple F&R arrived at the business, employees reported hearing a blast. No fire was visible, though Pechal said there was a smolder that was quickly put out with an extinguisher.
When we arrived at the scene, a single ladder truck was there. A firefighter told us they were taking the opportunity to do some training.
Damage to a metal chute along the side of one of the buildings was visible, and Pechal said doors near that assembly were displaced.
No injuries were reported, and no evacuations were ordered.
When asked what may have caused the explosion, Pechal said it was likely that accumulated dust from grains reacted to some sort of ignition source.
Pechal said Temple F&R would provide more details later. We will update this post as that information becomes available.