Belton city officials have decided that the annual 4th of July celebration will go on as scheduled.

As reported by Jacob Sanchez with the Temple Daily Telegram, The week-long celebration is a go and will kickoff on June 27. The president of the Belton Area Chamber of Commerce says, “We are on until we are not — until the governor says we’re not, at this point, all indicators say we should be fine. We are moving forward with all of our plans promoting our events expecting everything to be held.”

It's estimated that 35,000 people attend the parade through downtown Belton during the celebration so plan accordingly. Belton spokesman Paul Romer says, “The Fourth of July parade in Belton is an institution, but public safety has to be the highest consideration. There is not a need to rush a decision. As COVID-19 has taught the world, a lot can change in just a few weeks. The parade and other festivities are clearly threatened by COVID-19, but any decision about cancellations will be made as late as possible.”

There will also be the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association rodeo plus other events scheduled for that week.

Anything can happen between now and then but for now, the celebration is a go.

If you missed the 100th Belton 4th of July Parade last year or just want to relive some of the highlights, check out footage we got last year.

Enter your number to get our free mobile app