Central Texas Under Tornado Watch Saturday
Bell and surrounding counties, especially those along and east of I-35, were under a tornado watch Saturday afternoon.
The National Weather Service placed the following Central Texas counties under a Tornado Watch until 6 PM Saturday:
A Flood Advisory was also issued mid-day Saturday as storms dropped heavy rainfall. Specific cities named under the advisory include: Killeen, Temple, Harker Heights, Belton, Marlin, Rockdale, Cameron, Groesbeck, Nolanville, Morgan`s Point Resort, Bartlett, Salado, Little River-Academy, Troy, Rosebud, Thorndale, Rogers, Holland,
Lott, and Golinda.
PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE ACROSS ANY FLOODED ROADWAYS. Even less than an inch of runoff can send a vehicle sliding or sweep it away, and most roadway flooding deaths occur in vehicles. TURN AROUND! DON'T DROWN!
Our partners at News 10 were predicting wind gusts as high as 65 mph and hail along and east of I-35 with the possibility of isolated tornadoes. Storms were expected to ease late Saturday, with more moving in Sunday. However, tornado risks were not expected Sunday.
IF YOU ARE UNDER A TORNADO WARNING, FIND SAFE SHELTER RIGHT AWAY
- If you can safely get to a sturdy building, then do so immediately.
- Go to a safe room, basement, or storm cellar.
- If you are in a building with no basement, then get to a small interior room on the lowest level.
- Stay away from windows, doors, and outside walls.
- Do not get under an overpass or bridge. You’re safer in a low, flat location.
- Watch out for flying debris that can cause injury or death.
- Use your arms to protect your head and neck.
We will bring you more alerts if the situation changes. Meanwhile, be prepared to seek shelter if necessary.