A family of six in Temple was able to safely escape their home thanks to a child who noticed something was wrong and spoke up.

Temple Fire & Rescue crews were dispatched to a home at 1001 South 29th Street at 10:43 PM Thursday. 9 units and 20 personnel arrived three minutes later and found the family standing outside their one-story home. Firefighters entered the structure and were able to quickly extinguish a fire that started in a clothes dryer.

Public Information Officer Thomas Pechal credited a child who discovered the fire and warned the family with saving everyone's lives. They're now receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.

The home suffered smoke damage, and a dollar loss had net been determined Friday morning. What's important, however, is that no injuries were reported.

The scene was cleared by 11:47 PM.

Pechal shared the following information in a news release about the fire:

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, 2,900 home clothes dryer fires are reported each year and cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss. Follow these safety tips to prevent a clothes dryer fire in your home:

  • Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.
  • Clean the lint filter before and after each cycle.
  • Check the venting system behind the dryer to make sure that it is not damaged, crushed or restricted.
  • Replace coil-wired foil or plastic venting with rigid, non-ribbed metal duct.
  • Follow the manufacturers operating instructions. Do not overload the dryer.
  • Keep the area around the clothes dryer free of items that can burn.
  • Turn off the dryer when you leave home or go to bed.

More From KTEM-AM