Man Who Caught Listeria-Related Meningitis Sues Blue Bell
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — A man is suing Blue Bell, saying he contracted listeria-related meningitis after eating ice cream produced by the company in 2013.
David Philip Shockley is seeking unspecified damages in the negligence lawsuit filed Tuesday in Austin.
Texas-based Blue Bell recalled all its ice cream and halted production in April after a series of listeria infections linked to its products.
The lawsuit says Shockley was hospitalized with respiratory failure and septic shock in October 2013 after eating Blue Bell products while working at a retirement complex in Houston. The lawsuit says doctors diagnosed him with listeria meningitis with encephalitis.
Shockley, who suffered brain damage, now lives with relatives in Snow Hill, Maryland.
Blue Bell and the Texas Department of State Health Services didn't immediately return messages Wednesday.
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.