A Robinson mother and son are fortunate to have walked away from a house fire safely Monday afternoon, but sadly their pets did not make it.

KWTX reports that a passerby reported the fire at 201 Lux Drive late Monday morning. A woman and her 15-year-old son were in the opposite end of the house from where the fire started, and did not notice a problem until the woman got up to retrieve something from the kitchen.

The pair escaped safely, but KWTX reports that two dogs and a cat died as a result of smoke inhalation. The house was also left with extensive fire damage.

More From KTEM-AM