Discarded Cigarette Causes House Fire in Temple
A family of eight in Temple narrowly avoided serious injury and displacement after firefighters say an improperly discarded cigarette sparked a house fire early Monday morning.
Temple Fire & Rescue crews responded to 915 South 2nd St. at 4:37 AM. Upon arriving, they spotted light smoke billowing from a home and found a fire in the back bedroom. The fire was under control in about ten minutes and confined to one room. The home received smoke and water damage, but no injuries were reported.
Firefighters determined the fire was caused by a cigarette and found no working smoke alarms in the home.
Thomas Pechal with Temple F&R's media department reminds citizens that smoke detectors should be present in all bedrooms of a home and should be tested at least once a month. Detectors should also be replaced every ten years.