Temple Resident Falls Asleep While Cooking, Causes Smoke Scare
Temple Fire & Rescue officials are reminding the public of the importance of having working smoke alarms in their homes after a scare at a Temple apartment complex Saturday night.
Firefighters were dispatched to the Golden Haven Apartments at 505 North 2nd St. at 9:55 PM Saturday to investigate a smoke alarm activation. While an engine was en route, the call was upgraded to a possible structure fire.
On their way to the sixth floor, fire crews saw residents headed downstairs. Once on the sixth level, firefighters saw smoke in the hallway. They discovered the source of the smoke in an apartment on the sixth floor.
The occupant of the apartment told firefighters she had fallen asleep while cooking, and found her apartment full of smoke when she woke up. There were smoke alarms in her apartment, but she had disabled them.
Temple Fire's Thomas Pechal issued a media release about the incident Sunday morning and offered the following advice.
To keep you and your family safe, remember these tips from the US Fire Administration and National Fire Protection Association:
· Smoke alarms provide an early warning of a fire, giving people additional time to escape.
· Push the test alarm button monthly to make sure they work.
· Replace smoke alarm batteries at least once each year.
· Replace smoke alarms every 10 years
· Cooking is one of the main causes of home fires and the main cause of fire injuries.
· If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don’t use the stove.
· Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
· Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Slide the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop.